Sunday, May 19, 2013

Our Maui Vacation Album

I'm really enjoying doing Layout A Day (LOAD).  The prompts have me thinking about a ton of things I wouldn't have normally scrapbooked about.  I'll post pictures of those layouts soon, but I thought that I'd post our Maui Vacation album.  I've been working on it in fits and spurts since we got back, but as an offshoot of LOAD I got it done.

I used the Amy Tangerine Sketchbook 6 x 6 paper pad throughout the album.  This is the cover page.  I may  add some journaling here later about how it smelled like gorgeous flowers when we stepped off the plane.


 The next two pages are from the journey.  It was about 13 hours of travel time, and I was surprised how well our girls took it.  I loved that I got some really great pictures that showed some of their personalities.

We really liked our hotel.  It was a condo that came packaged with our car from Costco.  We had a really great view, not to mention a group of turtles living right down on the little beach by the pool.   As we were exploring the island on our first day, we found a great little restaurant called Da Kitchen.  We loved it so much we were talking about it all week.

The second day was pretty lazy, just hanging out around the hotel, followed by a dinner cruise for Alfred and I.
 Alfred took a day trip to Pearl Harbor, and had a fabulous time.  He brought back a few great stories and he recorded them in the little book on the second page of the spread.

While he was on Oahu, the girls, Jane, and I wandered around the island again.  We had another plate lunch and our first (and only) shaved ice of the trip.

After Crystal and Cliff came in, we had a Sunday family beach day.  We all had a good time, but Lilah fell in love with Clifford.

The next morning before the wedding, Jane and I took a snorkel trip, and it was the best snorkel trip I've ever been on.  It wasn't that I saw more than any other trip (although it was close); it was that I got so many great pictures of all the things we saw.  Jane brought her water proof camera, and I swam all over the place with it. I've taken underwater cameras to snorkel before, but this was the first time I could see what I was getting on a view screen.  That made all the difference.  I had a nearly unlimited number of pictures to take, and I could see right away if I caught my fish or not.  It was totally awesome.  Not only did I have proof of what I saw, but it's also easier to remember for myself.

After the snorkel trip was the wedding. I interspersed some marriage quotes between all the adorable wedding pictures.



I love the quote on the page with our family picture.  I had never heard it before I started this project, but it seemed quite apropos for us.

Our first attempt to drive the Road to Hana wasn't a complete success but we had a good time anyway.


We had a great time at our first Luau.  The Kahlua pork was amazing.

Lilah and I made a second attempt at the Road to Hana after Jane, Alfred, and Michaela had left. We made it to the end, and got to see a ton of beautiful sites along the way.  I'd still like to be able to go back someday and do it nice and leisurely.



That's the end of the album.  We had a really great vacation.  Maui was the first place in a really long time that surpassed my expectations for it.  It's the kind of place that I could see myself coming back to over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment